Pop Hotel Mong Kok Review

Friday, February 27, 2015


ALOHA! 

In my previous blog post, I mentioned that I was recently overseas. Well it’s been over 3 weeks since my return so I figured it was finally time to make a few posts about my trip. Our Hong Kong segment of the trip was rather small and uneventful. We treated our Hong Kong stay as a time to stock up on some winter gear, see some relatives and eat, A LOT.

I’ve decided to split this post to be about my accommodation. Hopefully I can help people who may be thinking about staying at the places I lived at during my stay. Sorry about the average photos, I wasn't planning on an accommodation review while I was there.

Super glamorous pyjamas and hair but this gives you a sense of the space we had to make do with.

THE ACCOMODATION

Pop Hotel (珀豪酒店)
950 Canton Road, Mong Kok.
Approx. AUD150 per night.

Our accommodation was average at best. It’s a miniscule little hotel situated only a few streets away from the hustle and bustle. During the day time the area is filled with dingy looking home renovation supplies stores. Come night time, when business hours were over, it turns into an eerie little street with questionable ladies sitting around and waiting whilst their over protective bosses hovered over them. It felt somewhat unsafe but nothing ever happened on our walks back to the hotel, it was just incredibly quiet. However, I feel that for $150 a night it was way too overpriced.

THE ROOM

The hotel room was tiny. We had to place our luggage in the hall ways and we would have to skip over them to get through. However, the upsides were that the bathroom was modern looking and the beds were reasonably comfortable. Although you can’t judge a book by its cover because the bathroom sink drained so slow and the shower was completely bipolar and I was either burning myself in scalding hot water or showering in ice water. Otherwise, we lived in relative comfort. I’m honestly not too picky with accommodation as long as it looks clean. But I thought I would just put out those observations anyway for those who were looking for more ‘glamorous’ accommodation.



THE LOCATION

For all its faults, the location was ultra-convenient. As I said, it was only two streets away from where everything was happening. A short 3 minute walk should get you on your way around Hong Kong via MTR found on Nathan Road. If you wanted to just hang around the area then Pop Hotel was near centres like Langham Place. Incidentally, we ended up at Langham Place more times than we should have. It was a short distance away from major streets like Nathan Road and Argyle Street where well-known brands have large stores lined up across the streets.

PERSONAL RATING:
 3 out of 5

To be honest, I’m not too hard to impress but the price was a really huge bummer which is why I docked half a mark out of my overall rating.

NOTES FOR NEXT TIME

During our one night stopover in Hong Kong before our flight back to Australia we stayed at Metro Park Mong Kok and it was actually cheaper than Pop Hotel. For next time, do research well in advance and, if you can, book via travel agents in Hong Kong or get somebody to do it for you in person. Travel agents can get good rates and I hear that booking in person can sometimes knock a few bills off your nightly rate.

1 comment:

Shannon Valle said...

Just had a browse through your blog. Amazing photos! Makes me want to hop on a plane right now! The hotel looks about as small as the one we stayed in, in Tokyo. We also had to leave our luggage in the hallway. It was a struggle to even get them through the door haha. Still, it’s always fun exploring new places so I guess as long as accommodation is clean, it doesn’t matter too much. Looking forward to more photos from you!

TFM BLOG