P&O Cruises Pt 3.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Day 4

Our next stop was at Lifou. It's a tiny island just above New Caledonia's mainland. This was probably my favourite stop. The water was beautiful and blue! So blue! The waters were crystal clear as well which made for good coral viewing.

Sneaky shot of an elderly man splashing in the ocean. I didn't edit the colours or anything in this photo. It's straight from the camera so you can seriously see how blue the water was. 



You may notice that our ship wasn't actually docked at a port. We actually had to physically swim ourselves to shore if we wanted to explore the island. 
-pause-
Joking. I definitely would have died if I had to swim to shore from all the way there. Lame jokes aside, in the photo you may notice a tiny orange blob in front of the ship. I believe they were the ones that we would have used if we had to abandon ship. Anyway, we used those little boats to get to shore. Much safer. 


There was a little boy chopping coconuts for visitors to drink for a couple dollars. He is clearly fearless and unafraid of losing a few fingers as he had to hack the coconuts tops repeatedly to get it open.


Emily clearly enjoying her coconut drink. Look at that happy face. 
After a bit of exploring we jumped into the water and enjoyed the warm water. We took our snorkeling gear far from the shore to check out the coral. At some points we split up in pairs and just explored as it was near impossible keeping up or waiting around for everybody. 
The coral was beautiful and there were so many kinds of fish. Of course, I tried to find Nemo. Which I did! He/she was just chilling in his anemone house. 
Mario and Eunice were super lucky enough to be able to swim along with this turtle. Unfortunately I missed out as this happened while we were all paired off. At least they took a photo for us to see!

We probably spent a good 2-3 hours just snorkelling until we got too tired and dehydrated to snorkel anymore. We decided to dry off and head back onto the cruise ship with plans to head back on after a bit of lunch on the ship. As soon as we got back on the ship however, the comforts of an empty spa and pool were too enticing and half the girls stayed on the ship. I on the other hand had to return my snorkel gear (mine broke earlier. Cheap K-mart snorkels) so Mario, Eunice, Michelle, Eileen and I headed back onto the island. 

We contemplated for ages whether we should get our hair braided. We caved in and all got one side of our hair braided because we were too scared to do full rasta braids. It was cool though! The lady used some sort of oil that smelt really strong to smooth out our hair. At times her braiding felt like a scalp massage and other times I thought she was going to rip my hair off. 

Here is my final braided look. Excuse the derp face. I left it on til the end of the cruise and the oil smell also remained til then as well. 

We headed back onto the ship soon after. I don't quite remember what we got up to as there's no photos to jog my memory. It was either a martini tasting (which tasted absolutely terrible. Never again), more dining at the fancy restaurant, outdoor movies, a comedy night or a talent show. 

The next day we organised a lot of activities! I didn't take my camera off the ship that day though so prepare for phone photos. 
Until next time! Adios

No comments: